How much do you know about Oktoberfest?
For example, did you know Oktoberfest is held in October but the German events start in September?
There are loads of facts you can take in to impress your mates and make it sound like you’re a seasoned Oktoberfest party-goer, even if this year will be your first and you’re technically still an Oktoberfest virgin, so take a look at some of the facts below.
1. The first Oktoberfest was held to honour the marriage of Prince Ludwig and Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen, in 1810. Now that’s what we call a wedding party!
2. You can’t stop beer pouring! In 200 years, Oktoberfest has only been cancelled 24 times. The causes were mostly due to the war and cholera epidemics… Oh and now more recently Covid-19!
3. With so much beer being consumed it’s obvious that some people might feel sick and end up puking… And that’s why Adidas recently released a limited edition of vomit-proof sneakers inspired by the Oktoberfest.
4. During Oktoberfest, traditional visitors wear Bavarian hats (Tirolerhüte). The more tufts of goat hair on your hat, the wealthier you are considered to be.
5. People drank 7.5 million litres of beer in 2018!
6. One mug of beer here is equivalent to 8 shots of Schnapps.
7. The beer brewed during Oktoberfest is extra strong; it’s specially brewed just for the festival with at a minimum 6% alcohol. So take this into consideration when drinking, and make sure to line your stomachs with some of the delicious food on offer.
8. Over 4000 lost and found possessions each year include wheelchairs, baby carriages, passports, keys, crutches, and dogs!? And they find a pair of teeth almost every year. Wedding rings also seem to get surprisingly loose during Oktoberfest.
9. Paris Hilton was banned from the German Oktoberfest. She went to the event dressed in a golden and shiny Bavarian Drindl to promote a brand of canned wine. Locals got the organizers to ban her because they were offended by how she was dressed.
10. In Germany there are 14 beer tents in total which means you’re spoilt for choice. We just have the one amazing Big Top ten for you here in the UK, but if things grow who knows what might happen, we might end up with 14 in years to come!?
If that’s wet your whistle and you want to join us between 7th – 11th October on The Level in Brighton, then make sure you book your tickets now by visiting our Events Page to grab your tickets. The first 200 are ‘Early Bird’ discounted tickets so get in there quick!